Sunday, April 6, 2014

All Quiet on the Western Front - Katczinsky

My name is Stanislaus Katczinsky, but I encourage everyone to call me Kat. While not in war I am a cobbler, but during the war I am a guardian.  I look after all of the young recruits, and also some of the not young recruits.  I'm very good at finding food for the guys and lifting their spirits.  One of my best skills is the ability to decipher what kind of shell is headed our way due to the sound that it makes.  As often as I can I teach this to the new recruits so they can protect themselves from the dangerous ones, and to disregard the ones that do not pose a threat.  Something else that I pride myself in is my ability to offer comic relief, it helps the guys stay a little bit sane during the bombardment.  Paul and I are very close, and I die while he tries to carry me to safety at the end of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment